You Are Invited
The DoD T2 Training Workshop is a forum for our T2 professionals, including laboratory Office of Research and Technology Applications personnel, intellectual property attorneys, and supporting T2 staff to participate in developing new strategies, sharing lessons learned and best practices, resolving T2 problem areas, and developing a consensus on issues of concern. The DoD T2 Training Workshop also provides one-of-a-kind training opportunities from recognized T2 experts on topics critical to the professional development of the DoD T2 workforce.
This year, we are continuing to make the workshop more interactive and encourage networking among participants.
A first-timers' orientation which will provide you with some helpful details about the DoD T2 Program and the goals of this three-day workshop. Pre-registration is encouraged for this important session and if this is the first time you are attending and your travel schedule permits, please strongly consider joining us on Monday afternoon, July 8, 2019.
- Help shape the agenda when you register by providing questions you would like answered during the workshop. Questions can be directed to the legal community or to the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
- Roundtable Discussions on topics of interest to members of the DoD T2 community. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in two 45-minute discussions in a small roundtable format on Wednesday, 10 July, from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Review the list by clicking the link above. After you register for the workshop, you will receive an e-mail asking you to select your two roundtable choices. Please note that space for each roundtable discussion is limited.
- Our popular Wednesday evening dine-arounds that provide an informal setting for attendees to socialize and meet new faces.
- After a lengthy hiatus, we are bringing back our early morning fitness exercises. In addition to preparing our minds and bodies for a full day of thought provoking T2 sessions, these activities will provide an opportunity to get to know your fellow attendees.
Click here for a copy of the invitation letter from the Director, Defense Laboratories Office, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Research and Engineering).
Hotel Reservation Deadline:6/7/19
Workshop Registration Deadline:6/13/19
Click on Agenda At-A-Glance for an overview of all sessions or on the individual dates for a detailed daily agenda with descriptions of each session.
1000 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone Reservations: 1-412-281-3700 or Marriott Reservations at 1-888-236-2427
(Identify yourself as a 2019 DoD T2 Training Workshop attendee)
Deadline to Reserve a Room at the Conference Rate: JUNE 7, 2019, 5:00 pm EST
Single/Double Conference Rate: $125.00 + tax (current tax is 14%)
Reserve your room early in case the hotel sells out before the deadline of JUNE 7, 2019, 5:00 pm EST. Room availability cannot be guaranteed after that date. Rooms will be reserved on a first come, first served basis. A credit card number or one night’s advance deposit will be required to secure a room. Cancellations must be received 72 hours prior to arrival or one night's room and tax will be assessed. In addition, there is an early departure fee of one night’s room and tax. Departure dates are reconfirmed at check-in and are subject to a fee if changed after the check-in process is completed. Check in time is 3:00 p.m. and check out time is 12:00 p.m.
Federal Government employees are exempt from paying the 14% guestroom occupancy tax in Pennsylvania. Click on the tax exempt form to download this form and bring it, along with a copy of your GSA card or other Government form of payment, with you to the hotel. NOTE: Federal government contractors are not exempt.
Based upon the hotel’s availability, group rates will be honored three days prior to and three days after the workshop. You can reserve the pre- and post-workshop dates with the on-line reservations link or by telephone.
Please note that the Hotel is completely smoke free and to protect the smoke free environment, the Hotel will post up to a $250.00 cleaning fee to the account of any guests who smoke in their guest room. There are designated outdoor smoking areas for those who do smoke. The restaurant on the property that is not operated by the Hotel (Bill’s Bar and Burger) also participates in the smoke free policy that the Hotel currently observes.
Valet and self-parking options are available at the hotel. Valet parking is $29 daily and self-parking is $22 daily. (Self-parking fees cannot be charged to any guestroom.) The parking garage is located under the hotel.
This hotel does not provide shuttle service from any nearby Pittsburgh airport. The Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) is located 21.4 miles West of the hotel and the Allegheny County Airport (AGC) is located 10.2 miles SE from the hotel.
For the hotel map and additional transportation information, click here.
Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in discussion topics of interest to members of the DoD T2 community. Two 45-minute discussions will take place in a small roundtable format on Wednesday, 10 July from 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Roundtable discussions will be facilitated by one or more T2 or legal professionals with expertise in the topic being discussed. Review the list of discussion topics topics now and then contact Sharon Thomas at [email protected] for information on signing-up for the roundtables.
Invigorate your day by enjoying the local sights up close while you take on a group run or walk led by a RunWESTIN™ Hotel Running Concierge, featuring the “City of Bridges”. Run along the 3 Rivers (the Allegheny and the Monongahela River’s meet to form the Ohio River) to Pittsburgh’s Golden Triangle at Point State Park, where the Fort Pitt Museum is located and tells the story of Pennsylvania’s role in the French and Indian War, American Revolution and the Birth of Pittsburgh. Sports fanatics will enjoy a sneak peak of the Steeler’s Heinz Field as well as the home of the Pirates, PNC Park.
Walkers and Runners of all levels are welcome. Routes include three-mile run or a two mile walk. Seasonal limitations may apply due to local weather conditions.
Sign-up when you register or just show up at the front desk at 6:00 a.m.
Start your day with an all-levels yoga flow. The class will focus on releasing tension in the shoulders, hips and hamstrings. The class will be a pleasant combination of movement, alignment, strength and stability. Practicing yoga reduces stress and improves quality of sleep, among many other benefits. The class will be tailored to all levels of experience and provide a relaxing start/finale to the seminar day.
Sign-up when you register. PLEASE NOTE: If there are not enough sign-up’s by MAY 30, these classes will be dropped.
Have questions or need more information on either of these fitness activities? Please contact [email protected].
On Wednesday evening, T2 Training Workshop attendees have the opportunity to dine with and get to know people within the T2 community. All the restaurants are within a short drive or walking distance of the hotel (30 minutes or less) and maps with step-by-step directions will be provided.
Pick a restaurant now by contacting Sharon Thomas or sign up at the registration desk after you arrive. Reservations will be limited to 12 people per restaurant. All restaurants have been asked to provide separate checks for our T2 Training Workshop attendees; however, the diners need to request this option when they arrive at each restaurant that evening.
- Braddock’s Rebellion: American, Vegetarian, Vegan options ($$-$$$) ($25 - $50). 107 6th St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-992-2005. Down home feel and design, casual and value-driven menu, great cocktails and wine list, and fast friendly service, Braddock’s is a great neighborhood gathering place and earned Certificates of Excellence 2015-2018. Distance from hotel: 0.5 miles; 11 minutes walking
- Butcher and the Rye: American, Vegetarian, Gluten free options ($$-$$$) ($25 - $36). 212 6th St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-391-2752. Butcher and the Rye is a two-time James Beard nominated restaurant and bar highlighting rustic American fare with a floor-to-ceiling wooden wall lined with more than 600 whiskeys, a vintage-looking rye bar on the second floor, plus an antler chandelier and cleavers suspended from the ceiling. This two-story restaurant is a destination for its extensive whiskey collection and creative menu, which offers contemporary riffs on rustic American dishes. Distance from hotel: 0.5 miles; 12 minutes walking
- Condado Tacos: Mexican, Southwestern Bar ($-$$) ($10 - $15). 917 Liberty Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-281-9111. At Condado, we’re all about the tacos, tequila, and margaritas (but we’re also fond of our whiskeys, guacamole, and craft drafts). Our main attraction is the build-your-own taco starting at $3.5 – 4.5, where choices range from the toppings all the way down to the shell. Unlike other taco joints, we let you choose exactly what you want, and however many you want. We pride ourselves on having fresh ingredients made every single day – from our salsas, toppings, and proteins to our house-made tortilla chips. Distance from hotel: 0.2 miles; 5 minutes walking
- Le Mont: American, International, and Vegetarian friendly ($$$$) ($26 - $46). 1114 Grandview Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15211 Ph: 412-431-3100. This restaurant is a short cab ride away; but, the view from the top of Mount Washington is worth the ride. Distance from hotel: 2.6 miles; 7 minutes driving
- Lidia’s: Italian, Vegetarian friendly ($$-$$$) ($19 - $34). 1400 Smallman St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-552-0150. Lidia’s is a 2018 Certificate of Excellence Winner and the menu features a daily pasta tasting, with homemade pastas that incorporate the season's freshest ingredients in addition to hearty Italian favorites such as the osso bucco, a braised heritage pork shank with barley risotto, the chicken scaloppini with roasted lemon, capers, and olives, and grilled salmon filet with seasonal contorni. Distance from hotel: 0.4 miles; 8 minutes walking
- Meat & Potatoes: American Bar, Gluten free options ($$- $$$) ($18 - $38). 649 Penn Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-325-7007. A seasonally inspired gastropub named by Food & Wine as Best Gastropub in the U.S. in 2014. Meat & Potatoes is located in the heart of the Pittsburgh’s Cultural District. The menu at Meat & Potatoes features simple and approachable fare, emphasizing the traditional-yet-satisfying staples of the American pantry, paired with a curated selection of handcrafted libations honoring Prohibition & the Repeal. Distance from hotel: 0.3 miles; 7 minutes walking
- Olive or Twist: American Bar, Vegetarian friendly ($$-$$$) ($22 - $29). 140 6th St., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-255-0525. Oliive or Twist is a Certificate of Excellence 2015-2018 Winner. This brick-walled, bi-level cocktail lounge offers a global menu and is Pittsburgh's Premier Martini Bar! Pittsburgh Magazine Winner 2014, 2013, 2012. Conveniently located in the Cultural District. Distance from hotel: 0.4 miles; 10 minutes walking
- Primanti Bros: American Bar, Vegetarian friendly ($-$$) ($7 - $11). 2 Market Sq., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-261-1599. Almost Famous, always a favorite and fries on the sandwich. We serve high quality food to industrious people who appreciate a good value. An essential Pittsburgh dining experience. Distance from hotel: 0.6 miles; 14 minutes walking
- Ten Penny Table and Tap Room : American Bar, Gluten free options, Vegetarian friendly, Vegan options ($$-$$$) ($11 - $30). 960 Penn Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Ph: 412-318-8000. If you love comfort food and high-quality cuisine with ample flavor, you'll appreciate what we have to offer! We've designed a full-flavor, "good for the soul" kind of menu with quality ingredients in hopes that everyone will leave wanting more. Rustic-chic eatery featuring a large central bar with draft brews, plus a menu of American cuisine. Distance from hotel: 0.1 miles; 2 minutes walking
- The Carlton: American, Seafood, Vegetarian friendly ($$$$) ($28 - $41). 500 Grant St., BNY Mellon Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15219 Ph: 412-391-4099. We feature innovative, fresh cuisine, served by friendly, polished professionals that are eager to anticipate and meet your needs. We change our menu daily, so you can always count on fresh and seasonal ingredients. Distance from hotel: 0.5 miles; 10 minutes walking
Workshop Registration and Payment Information
Tuition Fee: $675.00 (includes three breakfasts and three lunches)
In accordance with policy and guidance issued by the DoD's General Counsel, tuition fees authorized in travel orders or approved on a travel claim voucher are reimbursable.
In order to register through Eventbrite, you are required to “purchase a ticket”. You have two registration/ticket options:
- The RSVP ticket, which is a free preliminary registration ticket that allows you to pay later.
- The Tuition Fee ticket, which is a formal registration ticket that allows you to pay the tuition fee online via a credit card.
- Credit Card Payment: Use the RSVP ticket to pre-register and when ready to pay, select the Tuition Fee ticket for online credit card payments.
- SF Form 182 (Request, Authorization, Agreement and Certification for Training Form) Payment: Use the RSVP ticket to pre-register, then send a copy of the SF Form 182 to Regina Coeby ([email protected]). If an invoice is required by your command, contact Regina. Payment instructions will be provided with the invoice.
- Check Payment: Use the RSVP ticket to pre-register, then send the tuition fee check to the Vendor Information address listed below.
- Payment by Any Other Method: Contact Regina Coeby for help on how to pay the tuition fee by any other method not listed above (e.g., EFT (electronic funds transfer)).
Guests of attendees have the option of joining us for breakfast and/or lunch each day. Pricing per guest is as follows:
Attendance at all three breakfasts: $60.00
Attendance at all three luncheons: $75.00
To arrange registration for your guest, contact Regina Coeby via e-mail at [email protected].
NOTE: Guest payments can ONLY be made by check (no credit cards). Mail your guest check payment to the ATSI Corporation address listed under Vendor Information above.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Workshop Deadlines?
Hotel Reservation Deadline: JUNE 7, 2019, 5:00 pm EDT
Workshop Registration Deadline: JUNE 13, 2019, 5:00 pm EDT
Payment/Cancellation Deadline: JUNE 20, 2019, 5:00 pm EDT
Can I Register Now and Pay Later with a Credit Card?
Yes. Use the RSVP ticket (a free preliminary registration ticket) to provide us with your contact information and answer a few brief questions regarding what you would like to hear at the workshop. When you are ready to pay on-line with a credit card, use the same email address (promotional code) that you used to RSVP and select the Tuition Fee Ticket.
I Need to Register/Pay with a Check. What Should I Do?
Use the RSVP ticket (a free preliminary registration ticket) to provide us with your contact information and answer a few brief questions regarding what you would like to hear at the workshop Then, send your tuition check to the following address:
49 Bethany Way
Web Site: http://www.atsicorp.com/
CAGE Code: 68PP0
POC: Regina Coeby, 856-372-2310, [email protected]
Fax Number: 856-793-7147
I Need to Register/Pay with an SF Form 182. What Should I Do?
Use the RSVP ticket (a free preliminary registration ticket) to provide us with your contact information and answer a few brief questions regarding what you would like to hear at the workshop. Then, send a copy of the SF Form 182 to [email protected]. If an invoice is required by your command, contact Regina. Payment instructions will be provided with the invoice.
I am Bringing a Guest to the Workshop. Can He/She Join us for Meals?
A5: Guests of attendees are welcome to join us for all 3 breakfasts and/or all 3 lunches. Guest pricing is as follows: attendance at all 3 breakfasts is $60.00 and attendance at all 3 lunches is $75.00. All attendees should register their guest's name via e-mail at [email protected]. PLEASE NOTE: Guest payments can ONLY be made by check (no credit cards). Mail your guest check payment to ATSI Corporation, 49 Bethany Way, Fredericksburg, VA 22406
I need an invoice/receipt to confirm my travel costs to my Command. Who do I contact about receiving a receipt/confirmation of my attendance?
Please contact Regina Coeby at [email protected] or 856-372-3210.
Where can I find the most current agendas?
Go to Agenda tab on this website to print out the agenda-at-a-glance, the daily agendas, and/or the agenda session descriptions. Upon arrival at the workshop, a printed copy of the latest agendas will be included in your attendee packet along with other important workshop details such as roundtable sign-up’s and dinearound information.
Where can I find more information on Wednesday afternoon’s roundtable topics and how do I sign-up?
Where can I obtain electronic copies of the DoD T2 Training Workshop presentations?
The presentations that have been approved for public release should be made available about a week before the workshop. More information about how to access these PAO-approved presentations will be provided at a later date to all workshop attendees.
How do I obtain CLE credits?
Attorneys may be able to obtain CLE credits for the sessions presented during the legal track on Wednesday and legal sessions on Thursday. CLE accreditation will be requested for all legal sessions. Since State bar requirements vary widely, we suggest that attorneys seeking CLE accreditation verify their requirements. We will be taking attendance during all sessions eligible for CLE accreditation and can also provide any other documentation such as speaker biographies or certifications after the workshop has ended.
What is the wireless internet password at the hotel?
Guest Rooms: No password is needed for the guestrooms.
Meeting Rooms: Password: DoDT2-2019
I have special dietary needs. How do I find out if my needs will be met while I’m attending the workshop?
Let us know if you have special dietary requirements when you register for the workshop. Upon arrival at the workshop, you will receive an attendee packet at the registration desk. Make sure that your special dietary requirements have been noted on your packet. Please note that the Hotel may not be able to accommodate your special dietary needs if they were not notified ahead of time.
I’m interested in participating in the early morning fitness exercises being offered at the workshop. What particular fitness exercises can I join and how do I sign-up for them?
Two fitness exercises may be offered to attendees depending on the level of interest: Fitness runs/walks and Yoga classes. For a complete description of each early morning fitness exercise that may be offered, go to the Activities tab on this website. Sign-up for either fitness exercise when you register. Please note that only the yoga class may be cancelled after MAY 30 if interest is low from the attendees.
Where can I find more information on the Wednesday evening dine-arounds?
What is the dress code at the workshop?
Civilian Personnel: Business Casual
Military Personnel: Uniform of the Day
PLEASE NOTE: The July average temperature in Pittsburgh, PA, is 85 degrees F in the daytime and the average temperature at nighttime is 64 degrees F. However, please keep in mind that the meeting rooms and the hotel itself will be air-conditioned and dress appropriately.